Original and Practical Recipes. Inexpensive, Quick and Healthy.

Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Chocolate and Bailey's Ganache

Chocolate ganache is very quick and easy to make and it can be used on cakes, cupcakes, and cookies. I have found that using ganache to top cupcakes instead of frosting is a big time saver. The ganache can be spooned on top of cupcakes, or the cupcakes can be dipped into the ganache. You can also use ganache as a glaze poured over the top of an already frosted cake.  Ganache does take a little while to set up, so I recommend putting the ganache covered cupcakes, cake, etc. in the fridge for an hour to chill.

I had made chocolate ganache before but recently began adding Bailey's instead of the teaspoon of vanilla I had used previously.  As is often the case, the inspiration for this recipe came from my friends since we are always gathering to eat together.  My friend Zinni loves chocolate, so for his birthday I decided to make him a giant birthday cake (pictured below - and more details to come on that recipe later).  I wanted to make a cake that was very chocolaty, but also had a little something else to it.  So I thought, what would make a chocolate cake even better, and the answer I came up with is Bailey's.  Since that point I have had a bottle of Bailey's in my kitchen and I find ways to add it to desserts - like the Bailey's Hot Chocolate.

You will need:
1/2 cup cream
1/4 cup of Bailey's
1 cup of chocolate chips (semi sweet, milk chocolate, or white chocolate)
*Mint Bailey's and Milk Chocolate Chips would be a great combo

Step 1:
Pour the chocolate chips and the Baileys into a small bowl.

Step 2:
Slowly heat the cream in a saucepan over low heat. Stir constantly (so the cream doesn't curdble) until the cream is steaming hot. 

Step 3:
Pour the hot cream over the chocolate chips. Stir quickly with a whisk until the chocolate has melted.
Zinni's Birthday Cake - it was huge, and so heavy!
Ganache covered cupcakes

No comments:

Post a Comment