Original and Practical Recipes. Inexpensive, Quick and Healthy.

Friday, November 4, 2011

Graham Family Holiday Mashed Potatoes

I love Thanksgiving. I think it is the best holiday ever. What could make Thanksgiving better? How about celebrating it twice! When I moved to the Windy City I learned that my friends hold an annual Friendsgiving the Sunday before Thanksgiving. Everyone brings something, usually their favorite Thanksgiving recipe. With around 30 attendees, there is lots of food to sample! Right away I knew that I wanted to be in charge of Mashed Potatoes. My friend Dre, the host of Friendsgiving, responded by telling me that potatoes are important, so they better be good. I assured her that they are.




The recipe changed a little in the past year – when I discovered that adding cheddar cheese makes the potatoes even better.

You will need:
5 pounds of Peeled Yukon Gold Potatoes or Red Potatoes
4 tablespoons Butter
5 ounces of Sour Cream (you may use low fat)
5 ounces Cream Cheese (you may you low fat)
4 ounces Cheddar Cheese
2 teaspoons salt
½ teaspoon pepper

Step 1
Peel the potatoes. Chop into large cubes so they will cook more quickly. Boil until tender.

Step 2
Drain potatoes and return to pot. Add butter, cheddar cheese, cream cheese, sour cream, salt and pepper to the potatoes. Mix and mash either with a hand held mixer or a hand masher. If you use a mixer the potatoes will be smooth and creamy, if you mash by hand the potatoes will be chunkier.

Step 3
Four variations on this recipe:
1. Eat right away.
2. Put into a casserole and bake in the oven at 350-400 degrees. The temperature can vary depending on the temperature needed for whatever else is in the oven. Bake until crispy on the bottom on edges. Potatoes can be made a day or two ahead of time and reheated.
3. If your oven is really packed – put the potatoes in a disposable aluminum pan and put it on a heated grill (medium heat). I have been the Friendsgiving grill master – in charge of reheating all potato dishes on the grill.
4. Use leftovers to make potato pancakes. Use about 4 tablespoons of potato and form small patties. The small size prevents them from falling apart. Cook on a buttered griddle or a pan over medium high heat. Potato pancakes are difficult to burn, and they take a while to brown. Be patient and them brown, flipping too much will cause them to fall apart.

1 comment:

  1. The brussel sprouts in the photo are from my friend's Mom's food blog. Check it out: http://www.returntosundaysupper.com/2011/02/easy-buttery-brussels-sprouts.html

    ReplyDelete