Original and Practical Recipes. Inexpensive, Quick and Healthy.

Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Day After Thanksgiving Soup

Just in case I have not made this clear, Thanksgiving is by far my favorite holiday.  I love all the food, and especially the turkey.  My Dad and I could probably eat turkey everyday.  My Dad is one of few people who goes to the grocery store the day after Thanksgiving and buys a turkey on sale, goes home, and cooks it.  At first my mom thought that was crazy - but there is a very good reason for this.  The Thanksgiving turkey becomes Turkey Soup - and we need more turkey to eat with all the Thanksgiving side dishes.  So the obvious solution is to cook another smaller turkey the day after Thanksgiving.

I love this soup so much that having it once a year is not enough, so I make it with leftover chicken.  This soup freezes very well, I freeze individual servings and take them out as I need them.

My dad taught me that leftover gravy is the secret to a great soup. I strongly believe that it adds a lot of flavor to soup. I like to add gravy to all of my stock based soups. Feel free to add or omit any vegetables to this soup.

You will need:
2 quarts Stock (I posted the recipe last week)
1 cup or as much as you have Gravy (unless you already added it into the stock)
3 cups diced Turkey (or Chicken)
1 cup chopped white onion
1 cup chopped carrot
1 cup chopped celery
1 package fresh cheese or ravioli or tortillini
2 tablespoons olive oil
Sprinkle of Parmesan

Plus 1 cup of any of the following vegetables:
lightly sauteed mushrooms
frozen spinach (defrosted and water squeezed out)
corn
cannellini (white) beans
broccoli
green beans
peas

Step 1:
In a large soup pot (or if your large pot is already filled with the stock, use a frying pan - and then add the sauteed veggies to the stock) saute the onion in 2 tablespoons of olive oil.  After a couple minutes, once the onion is soft add the carrots and celery.  Continue sauteing until the onion is slightly browned.

Step 2:
Add the stock to the sauteed veggies.  Heat until bubbling.  Then add the gravy, diced turkey, and the remaining veggies.  I always put spinach, corn, cannellini beans, and green beans in this soup.  Let the soup bubble for a least 30 minutes cooking the veggies.

Step 3:
Add the fresh ravioli or tortillini.  Cook for another 10 minutes and serve with a sprinkle of Parmesan. 

I always freeze half of this soup right away and save it for later.  (Later is usually a day when it is -20 in Chicago and there is no way I am leaving my apartment).

No comments:

Post a Comment