Original and Practical Recipes. Inexpensive, Quick and Healthy.

Monday, November 21, 2011

Friendsgiving

I don't mean to brag, but I honestly think I have some of the most fantastic friends in the world.  They are genuinely nice people, we truly love each other like family, and we know how to have a blast.  Tonight my friend Hockema mentioned that when she runs into people she hasn't seen in a while they comment on how they can tell she is having the time of her life in Chicago based on photos they see on Facebook.  It is true, we are having the absolute time our lives.

When it comes to group events, we have a lot.  We celebrate everything: birthdays, flag day, prom, Christmas in July, Halloween, ugly sweaters, Purdue Football Games, the Golf Masters, the Kentucky Derby, Red Sox games, the Oscars, hating winter, the 4th of July - the list goes on and on - and yes we seriously had parties for all of those things.  But each year one event outshines all the rest.  Friendsgiving.

Tonight 40 friends gathered in Chicago to share a delicious meal that we all contributed to.  Three turkeys weighing in at a total of over 50 pounds were cooked.  And dozens of side dishes and desserts were brought by the attendees.  I brought my mashed potatoes, the Bailey's white hot chocolate, and mini apple pies that I deep fried (it was a minor disaster - but more on that tomorrow).  Part of the Friendsgiving tradition is to say what you are thankful for.  My friends, and 2 of the lovely ladies who hosted Friendsgiving, Caroline and Dre brought up two excellent reasons why all 40 of us should be thankful.  Caroline pointed out that for the first time ever, we are all employed.  And Dre said that it is amazing that we know 40 great people to celebrate Friendsgiving with.  I was reminded of how lucky I am to know each and every person at Friendsgiving.

Here are a few photos to give you an idea of how much food we had.


Yes I ate all this.  Special shout outs to Dre and John's great work on the turkey and gravy.  John's ravioli, and Chris and Mo's brussels sprouts!




A little walk down memory lane/proof that we really do have a blast.

Annual trip to Red Sox vs. White Sox game

Just a little birthday celebration

4th of July Party

Yes, we even send out a group Christmas card.

Thank you to everyone who made Friendsgiving such a success.  Thank you to whomever decided to use this event as a way to donate money to charity - my belly is full and I have a reason to feel good about myself!  And thanks to my crew of friends for being the best I could ever hope for!

No comments:

Post a Comment