Original and Practical Recipes. Inexpensive, Quick and Healthy.

Saturday, December 3, 2011

Baked Eggs with Spaghetti


I went through my drawer of recipes last weekend.  I literally had a drawer just of full of printouts and papers with my notes scribbled all over them.  Some of them are covered in food.  It isn't pretty.  This blog might be an effort to clean out that drawer.  I looked through the drawer to find a little inspiration and I came across printouts of recipes from a cooking class that Woody and I attended in Florence.

One recipe was for a fritatta with leftover spaghetti.  This was perfect timing since I had leftover spaghetti from the Spaghetti alla Rustica I made on Monday.  Instead of cooking it in a skillet and then the oven, I decided just to bake it.  You can incorporate your favorite veggies.  I had peppers, onions, and tomatoes on hand so that is what I used.

This can be assembled the night before.

You will need:
2 teaspoons olive oil
1/2 cup chopped white onion
1/2 cup chopped pepper (I used green)
1/2 cup chopped tomato
1 cup leftover spaghetti
5 eggs
1/4 cup skim milk
2 tablespoon Parmesan
1/2 cup Low Fat Mozzarella
salt & pepper
Serves 4-6

Step 1:
Heat the olive oil in a skillet.  Add the onion and after about 2 minutes add the green pepper.  Saute for another 2 minutes.  Then set aside to cool.

Step 2:
Saute the chopped tomato for 2 minutes in the same skillet.  Then set aside to cool.

Step 3:
The sauteed vegetables need to cool, so you don't accidentally cook the eggs.

Step 4:
Whisk together the eggs, milk, Parmesan, salt and pepper.

Step 5:
Place half of the spaghetti in the bottom of a glass dish.  Pour half of the egg mixture over.  Then pour half of the vegetables, then half the cheese on top.  Then add the rest of the spaghetti, egg, vegetables and cheese.

Step 6:
Bake for 45 minutes at 350 degrees, or until fully cooked.

No comments:

Post a Comment