Original and Practical Recipes. Inexpensive, Quick and Healthy.

Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Tuesday Tip: What to do when you get burnt

Last night I had a little cooking accident.  I was rushing while making the Chicken and Goat Cheese Mac and Cheese for Mac and Cheese Mondays and I splashed a significant amount of boiling water right onto my foot.  I thought I would share my experience with you because maybe someone will learn something from it, and because it is hilarious that I managed to burn my foot while cooking.

Important facts:
- You need to run the burned skin under cool or cold water immediately.
- If the skin is red, like a sunburn, but not blistered it is a first degree burn.
- If the skin is blistered, it is a second degree burn.
- Do not burst the blisters.
- Use clean gauze and burn ointment or neosporin to dress the burn.
- If you have a second degree burn, the blisters will probably burst at some point, if this happens make sure to keep the area clean - you will be prone to infection otherwise.
- Large second degree burns on your feet require medical attention.
- If you have a second degree burn make sure you are current on your tetanus shots.

Unfortunately I was two years overdue for my tetanus booster shot, so I decided to go to the ER.  My foot was also in so much pain that I felt the need to do something about it.  There wasn't too much that the doctors were able to do for me.  I did get my tetanus shot.  They explain how to bandage the wound.  They gave me lots of gauze and burn ointment.  They even gave me a prescription for a pain killer if it starts to hurt too much.  Unfortunately there is no magic cure that makes the burn better, they just take time to heal.

Disclaimer: I am not a medical professional.  This information was learn by: 1. reading WebMD 2. Calling a burn hotline 3. Going to the ER.

No comments:

Post a Comment