Original and Practical Recipes. Inexpensive, Quick and Healthy.

Thursday, December 15, 2011

Chicken Tortilla Soup


This is Charles's favorite soup.  I started making it a few years ago, and I make a couple big batches a year.  I took the leftover chicken from the Citrus Roast Chicken and added it to the soup.  I then took the bones and made a homemade stock.  When I made the stock I left the garlic, orange, and lemon in the cavity of the bird.  It adds flavor to the stock.  This soup could be made with vegetable broth and without chicken for vegetarians.

As I mentioned before, I make big batches of this soup.  Feel free to cut this recipe in half if you do not have a large stockpot.

This makes about 12 servings.

You will need:
8 cups stock
2 cups diced cooked chicken
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 chopped red pepper
1 chopped green pepper
1 finely chopped jalapeño pepper
1 chopped onion
2/3 cup chopped celery
1 can diced tomatoes
1 can of chick peas
1 can of black beans
1 can of corn
1 bag of tortilla chips
3 cloves crushed garlic
jack or cheddar cheese
red pepper flakes

* You can add more of what you like, take out things you don't like, or add other vegetables.

Step 1:
In a large soup pot saute the garlic in the olive oil.  Then add in the tomatos and onions and cook until the onions are soft and the tomatoes have lost some moisture.  Then add in the peppers and saute for 2-3 minutes. Then add the celery, corn and beans.

Step 2:
Add the stock and bring to a slow boil.  Add the chicken.  Then crush up some of the tortilla chips, this will thicken the soup.  I like thick soup so I add several handfulls.

Step 3:
Simmer for 30 minutes.  Add salt, pepper, and/or red pepper flakes to taste.

Step 4:
Serve with stredded jack or cheddar cheese and tortilla chips.


No comments:

Post a Comment